Wednesday 20 November 2013

Around Me

We've all been there: putting makeup around our eyes, fancy hats on our heads, colorful dresses on our shoulders, just so that when people see us they see, not only us, but who we would like to become. Putting enhancements on our facial expressions and torso is an education to those around us, even a rehearsal for the future. However, the multiple messages we are so desperate to tower upon ourselves, more often than never, cloud the vision when others are trying to see us.

The body is only a small fragile platform. Our life is the real one. 

As a christian, I care a great deal about how I live and love, which also means that the self is always larger than the body and visible. As one of my friends has recently pointed out, we can never nor ever really have a clear view or understanding of ourselves, or who we want to become. I believe the desire to know things is one of many weaknesses the human race has to endure, but I also find it soothing that when we don't know,  it's not because we're not trying hard enough, but simply because we were wired that way from the very beginning.

Which is why the whole thing makes me appreciate "I know that I do not know" from Socrates a lot more, and in addition makes me realize the importance of having a wider viewpoint about our life in this world.

So with this I am starting to have a new desire, that I will have the wisdom and grace to choose thing to place around me, and not putting things on me. But most of all, I am starting to hope and desire for a state that never stops "understanding", and not "knowing".

1 comment:

J said...

Philosophy always expects truth to lie in the future. From its point of view, the only truth that can be valid as truth is a radically new, future, unknown, unthought-of and perhaps even inconceivable one.……Philosophy is only possible if sophia(in italics) never abandons her game of seduction, never surrenders to the philosopher.
Theology, in contrast, presupposes that the truth has always already shown itself, that union with truth has always already taken place, that the truth is always already revealed and proclaimed.……A work of remembering, of care to remember the first time - the moment when truth first showed itself to man, first spoke to him and took pity on him.(Groys, 2012:92-3)

Groys, Boris (2012)《Introduction to Antiphilosophy》〈Walter Benjamin〉P.91-104

Post a Comment